Wednesday 18 November 2015

GOD WORKS DIFFERENTLY

I grew up in an environment that was full of Asians and we would obviously play together. We would be invited to their functions and I actually love their food till now. One thing that stood out for me was the little girls with their nose rings! I so admired them while I was still in lower primary to an extent I told my mum how I wanted a nose piercing. Your guess is as good as the reality, because she told me how my nose would “grow big”, I would catch flu and hence wouldn’t be able to blow my nose, and all scary theories.  Her negative response made me stop thinking about it. Fast forward after college, I waited till I moved to my own house and well a day after my 25th birthday; I went to have it pierced! When I put my mind to something, I rarely give up!

Little did I know that it would raise eyebrows within the church! “How can a born again lady who is in the praise and worship team pierce her nose?”, “Now will God even speak to you in that conference with your nose ring on?” another quipped as we were on our way to a conference! I almost answered but my friend gave me a look that casually told me to let it pass! 

See, God is no respecter of persons, because that conference happened to be the one that God used the visiting Man of God to confirm to me my calling and let me know what I was to do! My nose ring didn’t stop God in any way! I have even met those who ask if I’m from the Coastal regions or if I’m a Muslim just because of it, because a ‘born again’ lady shouldn’t put on such!


This makes me go back to Gen 24. The story about Isaac and Rebecca! The bible speaks how Abraham’s servant carried jewelry and even put it on Rebecca. So it’s not something that just start recently, the mother of Jacob (Israel) and Esau put on one! There are other instances in the bible which mention nose rings as well as you will see below; 

Gen 24:  22 When the camels had finished drinking, the man took out a gold nose ring weighing a beka and two gold bracelets weighing ten shekels. (NIV)
30 As soon as he had seen the nose ring, and the bracelets on his sister’s arms, and had heard Rebecca tell what the man said to her, he went out to the man and found him standing by the camels near the spring. (NIV)
47 “I asked her, ‘Whose daughter are you?’
“She said, ‘The daughter of Bethuel son of Nahor, whom Milkah bore to him.’
“Then I put the ring in her nose and the bracelets on her arms,…

Isa 3:21 the signet rings and nose rings,... 

Eze 16:12  and I put a ring on your nose, earrings on your ears and a beautiful crown on your head.

So child of God, before you decide who God should speak to or use, before you write off that widow or divorcee, before you look down on someone, get to know the person and understand that our thoughts are not the thoughts of God, neither are His ways our ways! He chooses whom He pleases and uses the foolish things to confound the wise. (1Cor 1:27)

Shalom



No comments:

Post a Comment